Kibble Palace (1873)
Kibble Palace from the main Garden.
Kibble Palace in 1875.
Kibble Palace entrance to main area.
Kibble Palace Roof from Interior.
This is an 'A' listed 19th century, curvilinear iron structure of exquisite design and form. Originally owned by John Kibble, an engineer with wide interests and some eccentricities, his private conservatory was moved to its present site in 1873. The main conservatory: 150ft (46m) in diameter, is spanned by a saucer-shaped dome with cupola.
The Kibble Place was closed in 2003 in advance of a multimillion pound restoration. This was completed in 2006 and the glasshouse re-opened to the public on St Andrews day that year.
Marble Statues in the Kibble
King Robert of Sicily (c1927)
The seated statue of King Robert and his monkey, executed by the Scottish sculptor George Henry Paulin (1888-1962). King Robert is sitting on a Jester's costume. The statue is made of marble and is 1.14 meters high. It was purchased in 1927 and exhibited at the RSA in the same year.
Cain (1899) or My Punishment is greater than I can bear
The sculpture of Cain, son of Adam and Eve crouching in anguish at his punishment for jealously murdering his brother Abel (Genesis 4:13) is the work of Edwin Roscoe Mullins (1848-1907). It is made of marble on an octagonal brick base and has a height 0f 99.5cm.
The sculpture was purchased from the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1901 at a cost of £300. A plaster model was exhibited at the New Gallery London in 1896.
*** About Mullins
Mullins was born in Holborn, London. He was the son of Edward Mullins (born c.1808 in Box, Wiltshire), a solicitor and notary public. Mullins died in 1907 at Shirley, Walberswick, Suffolk.
Mullins studied at Lambeth School of Art, the Royal Academy Schools, and in the workshop of John Birnie Philip. Between 1866 and 1874 he studied under Professor Michael Wagmüller at Munich, where he shared a studio with Edward Onslow Ford. Mullins was awarded a silver medal at Munich and a bronze medal at Vienna for a group entitled 'Sympathy' exhibited in 1872. He suffered from poor health in the last decade or so of his life which limited his ability to work. Cain was one of his last works.
This marble statue of Eve, the first woman, was created by Italian sculptor Scipione Tadolini (1822-1892). This remarkable artwork is the centrepiece of the Kibble Palace.
On the pedestal are reliefs. The front shows The First Family. The rear shows The Expulsion from the Garden.
The statue is based on a plaster model in the Palazzo Braschi, Rome. It was presented to Glasgow Museums in 1936 by Dr. Douglas White of Overtoun.
A signed copy of Eve was sold at auction by Sotheby's for £49,250 in 2011.
Ruth, traditionally said to be an ancestor of Christ, is sculpted by Milanese sculptor Giovanni Cinselli (1832-1883) who specialised in portraits of Biblical and mythological figures.
Ruth is shown sitting on a tree stump with corn sheaves in her left hand. These symbolize the harvesting of the corn in her future huband, Boaz's field.
Ruth is mentioned in one of Keats' most famous poems, Ode to a Nightingale.
Thou wast not born for death, immortal Bird!
No hungry generations tread thee down;
The voice I hear this passing night was heard
In ancient days by emperor and clown:
Perhaps the selfsame song that found a path
Through the sad heart of Ruth, when, sick for home,
She stood in tears amid the alien corn;
The same that oft-times hath
Charmed magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn.
The statue is carved in white marble on a dark plinth. It was loaned for the 1888 Kelvingrove International Exhibition of 1888 by Leonard Gow and presented to the City by his family in 1927.
The sisters of Bethany (1871)
The subtitle is The Master is come and calleth for Thee. The subject is from the Gospel of John (12, 1-7) where Martha serves supper to Christ and Lazarus and Mary anoints Christ's feet with [Spikenard] and then wipes his feet with her hair. Bethany is the name of the village.
The statue was exhibited at the RA in 1979. It was presented to Glasgow Museums in 1936 by Dr Douglas White of Overtoun.
John Warrington Wood (1839-1886) was born in Warrington, as John Wood. He studied at the town's School of Art, assuming the name of his birthplace to distinguish himself from other students called John Wood.
In 1865 Wood went to Rome and established a highly successful practice, chiefly creating portrait busts and ideal works on sacred themes. He was able to purchase the Villa Campana, near the church of San Giovanni in Laterano in Rome where he operated an open house policy to visitors and other artists. Wood also paid regular visits to London and his house in Sloane Street.
In 1877 he was elected to the Guild of St Luke in Rome, a singular honour for a foreign artist. Wood died suddenly of complications of a heart condition at his apartments in the Lion Hotel in Bridge Street, Warrington.
The Elf (1899)
Welsh sculptor William Goscombe John (kibble-statues/1860-1952) regarded the 'Elf' as one of his greatest achievements. This stood in Kelvingrove Art Galleries from 1901 to the 1930s when it moved to its current setting.
The statue is made of marble and is 1.04m high. It is a marble copy of a bronze original, copies of which are in the National Museum of Wales, Cardiff and the RA Diploma Collections.
The plaster model was shown at the RA exhibition of 1898, and then Paris, Rome and Venice. This version was shown at the RA in 1899 and at the Glasgow International Exhibition of 1901 where it was purchased by the City for £525.
The work was much prized by John and is carved in relief on the wooden base of his self portrait of 1942, which is in the National Museum of Wales.
Nubian Slave (after 1858)
The statue of an oriental slave was sculpted by Italian Antonio Rossetti (1819-1891). The statue was bequeathed to Glasgow Museums in 1881 by William Colvin. There is a broken finger on the left hand, and the nose is chipped.
Rossetti was born in Milan. He studied and worked in Rome.
Stepping Stones (1878)
The young girl carrying her infant brother across a brook is captured by William Hamo Thorneycroft who lived from 1850 to 1925.
The statue is made of marble, is 1.46m high and was exhibited at the RA in 1879.
The statue was accompanied by a couplet:
Pausing with reluctant feet
Where the stream and river meet
The statue was presented to Glasgow Museums in 1919 by Captain Wallace.